Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Kauai day 1

I guess now that I have been home 3 weeks I should tell a little about my trip to Hawaii. Darlene & I took a summer trip last year, so we of course had to do it again this year! Her parents have a time-share so we asked if we could use a week and they said YES!. I think we started planning in January of where we wanted to go. Since I was living in TX at the time we thought of going to Savannah, Georgia or the Houston, TX area. When I moved in May to AZ we thought of going to Sedona, AZ....but why go there when you can go to Hawaii?! So, we decided on Kauai. (Best decision!)
I flew out on Sat.--I arrived in Kauai about 1:15 in the afternoon so we basically had a half day. Darlene's Dad came with us because the car and time-share were in his name. Lihue is about 1 hr. from Princeville where we were staying so we started the trip with a slow drive of the island. Our first stop was ACE--now in the mainland ACE is for hardware, but not so in Hawaii. It has EVERYTHING! Darlene needed scrapbooking tape and that is where you get it!
The next stop was a MUST-- Ono Shaved Ice--seriously the best shaved ice on the island. For $3 you get a ginormous snow cone! I had tropical flavors, Darlene had a rootbeer float.

Then we drove on to our time-share. We were some of the first to get there so we were lucky enough to get beach mats, camping chairs, and a body board. They even had movies that were filmed on the island. We got Jurassic Park. This was the view from our balcony.

I had read on-line about a sand-castle making contest at Hanalei Bay so we decided to see if we could catch the end of it. We didn't but we did really enjoy the beach!


The musical "South Pacific" was filmed here. This was the beach where the girl sang, "I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Out of My Hair". Fun!!! The water was warm. Just so beautiful!
To end the night we went to Kalypso. We had coconut shrimp (SO GOOD!) and I had fish tacos (Not the best I have ever eaten but so good!) And then we had some grasshopper icecream pie to end it all.
I was actually a little cool this night. Being used to 110+ heat I was so GRATEFUL for 80* weather. Ah... sounds so nice.
The island is beautiful. I couldn't get over how green everything was. I miss that color! The humidity didn't bother me too much. And the noises of the night were nice. A piece of heaven on earth!

No comments: