Sunday, November 16, 2008

S Padre



I had a meeting in Brownsville, TX on Friday. Several things added to it being quite the trip.
Thursday when I flew in to Harlingen it was raining like crazy. I got my car (Ford Fusion-- I liked it.) and tried to follow the directions. Because it was dark and raining I had a hard time following them. I got some dinner (Wendy's) and kept driving knowing I needed to go south-- I went south. I decided I better ask for directions so I stopped and found out I was right, just keep on going. I finally get to Brownsville-- looking for my street exit and I never find it! Now I know I am close to Mexico so I stop at a grocery store. I was in little Mexico for SURE! I got my face soap (that I knew I had left at home..) and ask for directions. The kid had no idea so I asked the pharmacist. She told me how to get where I was going -- and the street I needed was NOT the one on my info sheet! I am driving around (thankfully the rain had stopped.) and still not seeing my hotel. I stop at Kohl's and I am only a block away from my hotel! YEAH.
I am in my room, getting ready for bed-- only to discover I had forgotten my contact solution. Hotels are supposed to have everything you need if you forget right?? Nope-- they can't help. I decide I DO NOT want to go back out so I throw the contacts away (only a week early! ARGH!!)
Didn't sleep real well as I just love my memory foam pillow and mattress.
Attempted to get to my work meeting early only to discover I had the WRONG address. Thankfully sister was able to call them and they called and got me there okay. Meeting was good. Learned a lot...glad I went.
Got to S. Padre Island--beautiful weather, nice beach...had a good stay there. On Sat. I wanted to walk the beach but it was SO windy it was a little sand storm out there. Well I did go out and take some pictures--- and I lost my coin purse. My 2 credit cards, license, and health insurance card were in there!!!! It was 11:00 and I would not get home until 8:30! What would I do? When I discovered this I was almost to an outlet mall (wanting to Christmas shop). I called the hotel-- and they did not have the purse. I drove BACK to the beach and looked around, but in that wind? (Oh- did I mention there was a guy bulldozing the sand?) Found nothing. Went to the airport and on the way there I saw a Wells Fargo open!!!! Because I felt that I should take my passport (in case I went to Mexico) I was able to withdraw money from my account!!!!! YEAH!!! I could get gas for my rental car and best of all!!!!!! I GOT TO EAT!!!!

End of the story-- after canceling my credit cards I got a call today-- Mr. Jason found my wallet today (?) at the BEACH! YES! He is mailing it to me tomorrow.

My lessons--1. Do not attempt to get off anti-depressants when traveling alone in an unknown place.
2. God does hear and answer my prayers! A miracle for me! YEAH!!!!

No comments: